Just wanted to leave a quick note to let those of you that check out the blog (do you exist?!) that I'm still here and baking I just can't get online!! I STILL don't have internet at my new place (its been about a month already!) so am unable to post any of the recipes I've been trying out. Can't wait to resume my normal posting because I've got a few sweet treats to share.
Monday, March 2, 2009
I few months ago (probably more like 6 months!) I got all excited and was determined to buy a piping bag and a selection of tips. I raced out, looked at all the options and bought a nice little kit. Then I took it home and never used it. So this weekend I was determined to get it out. Which meant cupcakes! There isn't anything particularly special about the recipe I used, it was just quick and easy. It was the icing I wanted. I made a nice buttercream icing, coloured it pink and blue and began to play. I think I have alot to learn! I can't say they all looked perfect, or even good but in the end my taste testers weren't too concerned about looks! I think some research is in order and more practice. Any tips for perfect cupcake decorating are more then welcome!
I still haven't got internet connected at my new place so not only am I a day late but also a little behind on my blogs. But here is the best of what I did get to.
- Start with some lightened Strawberry Muffins from Abby Sweets
- Dinner and Dessert brings us Apfelstrudel
- The required chocolate is at Use Real Butter with the Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
- Cornmeal Cake with Honey Syrup can be found at Tiny Banquet Committee
- A Simple Three Sugar Cake is shared with at at Two Spoons
Recipe from Taste.com
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup milk
125g butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 200C/390F. Grease a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan. Alternatively, lines holes with paper cases. Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
2. Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture. Using a large metal spoon, stir gently to combine.
3. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan. Nale for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Butter Cream Icing
125g unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
a few drops colouring
Beat butter and icing sugar together. Add milk and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add colouring and mix through.