Monday, March 2, 2009

Basic Cupcakes







I few months ago (probably more like 6 months!) I got all excited and was determined to buy a piping bag and a selection of tips. I raced out, looked at all the options and bought a nice little kit. Then I took it home and never used it.  So this weekend I was determined to get it out. Which meant cupcakes!  There isn't anything particularly special about the recipe I used, it was just quick and easy.  It was the icing I wanted.  I made a nice buttercream icing, coloured it pink and blue and began to play.  I think I have alot to learn!  I can't say they all looked perfect, or even good but in the end my taste testers weren't too concerned about looks!  I think some research is in order and more practice.  Any tips for perfect cupcake decorating are more then welcome!


 


I still haven't got internet connected at my new place so not only am I a day late but also a little behind on my blogs. But here is the best of what I did get to. 



Classic Cupcakes
Recipe from Taste.com

Ingredients
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup milk
125g butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method
Preheat oven to 200C/390F. Grease a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan. Alternatively, lines holes with paper cases. Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
2. Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture. Using a large metal spoon, stir gently to combine.
3. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan. Nale for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. 

Makes 12

Butter Cream Icing
125g unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
60ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
a few drops colouring

Beat butter and icing sugar together. Add milk and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add colouring and mix through.

1 comment:

  1. From my very limited experience, I think your frosting was too soft; it needs to be much stiffer in order for the frosting to make beautiful peaks. Perhaps you added too much liquid or perhaps the weather did not cooperate and softened your butter. If the weather is against you with high heat and humidity, Pioneer Woman (whom I see you've visited) has several lovely posts about fondant.

    However, your cupcakes look good to me, and I wouldn't hesitate to eat one -- or two! LOL!

    ReplyDelete