Sunday, February 8, 2009

Creme Caramel


It has been way too hot this weekend to bake. I mean really really hot, about 40C (thats 105F). But I had already decided last week, before the forecast was revealed that I was going to make creme caramel. And I do suffer for my art! It was actually a lot easier to make then I expected. I was a little unsure about the caramel when I made it but it turned out great. A little tip though, doesn't use a plastic spatula to scrape the toffee out of the hot frying pan or you will be picking plastic out of your dessert!  I was unable to get a good picture because of bad light but there is a little left over so might try again tomorrow.


And now to Sunday Baking round-up. Being Valentines Day next week I thought I'd highlight some sweet treats for your special someone. I've also included more then usual to give you more options. On to it...


Creme Caramel
Where else but AWW Bake!

Ingredients

¾ cup (165g) caster sugar

½ cup (125mL) water

300mL cream

1 ¾ cups (430mL) milk

6 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

⅓ cup (75g) caster sugar, extra


Method

Preheat oven to 160C/320F. 

Stir sugar and the water in medium frying pan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, until mixture is deep caramel in colour. Remove from heat; allow bubbles to subside. Pour toffee into deep 20cm round cake pan.

Meanwhile, bring cream and milk in medium saucepan to the boil. Whisk eggs, extract and extra sugar in large bowl; whisking constantly, pour hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Strain mixture into cake pan.

Place pan in medium baking dish; add enough boiling water to come half way up side of pan. Bake about 40 minutes or until firm. Remove custard from baking dish. Cover; Refrigerate overnight.

Gently ease creme caramel from side of pan; invert onto deep-sided serving plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment