Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Doughnuts?!


So being Christmas/New Year and all I've got the week off work. Which means more time to bake. I bought the latest recipes+ magazine yesterday and as soon as a saw the doughnut recipe I knew I needed to give it a try. If I have one food weakness its doughnuts. But this recipe is for baked doughnuts so a little bit healthier, well thats what I'm going to tell myself!

So with all of those good intentions I set out. Now I believe that an important part of blogging my cooking is to share the disasters as well. As you can see they didn't turn out as you would expect. The dough was way too sticky and I just couldn't handle it to cut it into the right shape. In a last ditch attempt I just threw spoonfuls onto the tray. 

My next mistake was that I got a little distracted and they ended up a bit over-cooked. But all in all they still tasted OK. There is definitely the potential for improvement, one to put back on the to-do list.   

Here's the recipe, hopefully yours will be a little more successful:

Doughnuts

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 cup milk
50g butter, melted
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
Assorted coloured sprinkles, to decorate

Method
1. Using an electric mixer, beat egg, sugar and 1 teaspoon essence in a small bowl until creamy. Stir in milk and half butter. Stir in milk and half butter. Stir in combined sifted flour and baking powder to form a soft dough. Cover with plastic food wrap; chill for 30 minutes
2. Preheat oven to 200oC. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Pat dough to 1-1 1/2cm thick. Using a 5cm floured biscuit cutter, cut out the centre of each round. Place doughnuts (and centres) on prepared tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. 
3. Meanwhile, combine icing sugar, remaining essence and 1 1/2- 2 tablespoons boiling water in a medium heatproof bowl; Stir to make a runny glaze.
4. Dip doughnuts in warm glaze and decorate with sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment