Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009 (Easy Savoury Scrolls)


I don't really write new years resolutions, but I do try and set myself some goals or a focus for the coming year. 2009 is going to be my year of making it simple and staying home. Its the first time in about 5 or so years where I haven't been planning, saving for or on a big overseas trip. So I'm going to make the most of my year at home and focus on my work, cooking and craft. I've set myself some accompanying goals to keep me inspired and motivated to learn and develop my skills.  I'm writing them here to remind me through-out the year and keep me focused. 

Creative Goals
  • Send handmade Birthday and Christmas cards all year
  • Finish my USA 2007 album
  • Journal at least once a week
  • Create a travel photo box and scrap my favourite photos
  • Make a best recipes box
  • Buy a sewing machine and learn to sew (a bit vague i know but i really can't sew anything!)

Recipes to cook
  • Multi-layer cake (at least 4 layers)
  • Cinnamon rolls
  • Bread (any kind!)
  • Tiramisu
  • Macaroons
  • Souffle
  • Profiteroles
  • Apple Pie
  • Ginger Bread House (this might have to wait till next christmas)
  • Red Velvet cake (we don't have this in Australia so its all new to me!)
  • Gelato/ice cream/sorbet
  • Baked Alaska
Hopefully this will just be the start of my adventures. This year is going to be my year of learning. Learning to cook and craft. Learning more about my job. Learning that its OK to stay at home.

Which is what I did on New Years Day. I slept in, baked some scrolls for lunch and lazed around for most of the day. I cook these scrolls regularly because they are easy and taste so good straight from the oven. I usually have cheese and vegemite (an australian spread that most people outside Australia just don't understand, but its the best stuff!) and do some sweet chilli and cheese for my brother. I've also done tomato paste and cheese as well. They should freeze well, although I've never had a chance to try it, they always disappear! 


Easy Savoury Scrolls

Ingredients
2 cups self-raising flour
30g butter, chilled, chopped
3/4 cup milk

Filling:
1 cup grated cheese
vegemite
sweet chilli sauce
tomato paste

Method
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add butter. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until combined. Make a well in the centre.
2. Pour milk into well. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until mixture is almost combined. Using your hands, bring dough together into a ball. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead dough until almost smooth. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to a 24cmx36cm rectangle.
3. Spread sauce over dough, leaving a 3cm border along both long edges (If making multiplefillings, cut dough into sections first along the short edge)Sprinkle with Cheese. Roll up dough firmly. Cut into slices about 2cm thick. Arrange scrolls close together on prepared trays, ensuring join is turned inwards so scrolls don't unroll while cooking. Bake for 18-20 minutes (18 is usually enough in my oven) or until light golden and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment