Monday, August 3, 2009

Chocolate Roll-out Cookies


I made it back into the kitchen! And what a great time I had. I spent about 6 hours in the kitchen on Saturday and it was excellent. The huge pile of dishes that is still sitting there isn't so great, but worth it. I had a friend coming over for dinner that night so as per her request I made lasagne and her all-time favourite dessert, tiramisu. I also whipped up some cupcakes and these cookies. I recently 'borrowed' my mothers 40 year-old rolling pin and put it to good use with these cookies. My rolling skills need a little work but I'm ready to work on it if I keep getting stuff like this made! Simple chocolate cookies which I decorated with white, milk and dark chocolate as well as hundreds and thousands. The aim was that they would go to an ice hockey game I was going to (yes, ice hockey in Australia!) but they were being eaten before I got out of the house, so cupcakes went to the game instead (I'll try and get that recipe up sometime this week). The chocolate was easy to apply to the cookies, I dipped them in as well as spread with a spatula and both techniques worked well. Let your creativity run with these, and use up any leftover chocolate you might have.

A few recipes from other blogs to check out:
Chocolate Roll-Out Cookies
Recipe from Australian Women's Weekly Cookies

Ingredients
125g butter
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
chocolate and hundreds and thousands to decorate

Method
1. Beat butter, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until combined. Sift dry ingredients, in two batches.
2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and oven trays; line with baking paper.
4. Using 5cm round cutters, cut rounds from dough. Place on oven trays.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
6. Spread tops of cookies with chocolate, sprinkle with hundreds and thousands. Set at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment