Hot Cross Buns
Recipe from AWW Bake
1 tablespoon (14g) dried yeast
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups warm milk
4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sultanas
1/2 cup plain flour
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1/3 cup water, approximately
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon gelatine
1 tablespoon water
1. Combine yeast, sugar and milk in small bowl or jug. Cover; stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
2. Sift flour and spices into large bowl; rub in butter. Stir in yeast mixture, egg and sultanas; mix to a soft sticky dough. Cover, stand in warm place about 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
3. Grease 23cm square slab cake pan or deep 23cm-square cake pan.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead about 5 minutes or until smooth. Divide dough into 16 pieces, knead into balls. Place balls into pan; cover, stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until buns have risen to top of pan.
5. Meanwhile , preheat oven to 220C/430F.
6. Make flour paste for crosses; place in piping bag fitted with small plain tube, pipe crosses on buns.
7. Bake buns about 20 minutes. Turn buns, top-side up; onto wire rack.
8. Make glaze; brush hot buns with hot glaze. Cool on wire rack.
Flour paste: Combine flour and sugar in cup. Gradually blend in enough of the water to form a smooth firm place.
Glaze: Stir ingredients in small saucepan over hear, without boiling, until sugar and gelatine are dissolved.