Friday, January 9, 2009

Drop Scones



Today was one of those days that I just wanted to get in the kitchen as soon as work finished. I had spent most of the day thinking about how I would perfect the chocolate fruit and nut I attempted yesterday, I think I've got it figured out. Put like usual, things didn't go to plan. When I grabbed the leftover fruit and nut I discovered the half-full bag I had left yesterday was now almost empty. My tip, don't leave food lying around the house for other people to eat. 

I wasn't cooking dinner tonight (we share it around) so after dinner my kitchen craving was still there. Solution: simple drop scones. These are kinda like mini pancakes or pikelets but the mixed spice and nutmeg give them a lovely flavour. They are great accompanied with jam and cream or chocolate sauce. I smothered mine in Nutella.  They were exactly what I needed!

Drop Scones

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

1 teaspoon mixed spice

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1/4 cup caster sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

1 egg

1 tablespoon honey


Method

1. Sift flour, mixed spice, nutmeg and bicarb into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre. 

2. In a jug, whisk together milk, egg and honey. Gradually beat into flour mixture until well combined

3. Heat a large frying pan on medium. Spray with oil. Drop tablespoonsful of the mixture into the pan. Cook in 5 batches for 1-2 minutes until bubbles form on the surface and begin to break and the underside is golden. Turn and cook the other side for 1 minute. Wrap cooked ones in a clean tea towel to keep warm while cooking the remainder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment